Wednesday 9 March 2011

There is a First Time for Everything.

            I have been remembering some of the important things in life which happen to us human beings and some of them can leave a lasting impression on our minds. So I will tell you about a few of my ‘Firsts’ which happened to me between the ages of four and five.
Arthur & Stienie Randall

            The first wedding that I attended was that of my mother’s brother, Arthur Charles Randall to Cristina Johanna Levinia Griesel on 29th September 1937.   This took place in the N G Kerk in Bothaville.   This was the largest church that I had ever been in and the pipes of the organ fascinated me.   There were more people present than what I had ever seen in one place before.   I will attach their wedding photo.   Aunty Stienie was Afrikaans speaking and could not speak English very well but was always friendly and kind to us children.   They were our next door neighbours and my Oupa Dave Randall lived with them until his death in 1957.


Leslie Whittal

            The next first in my life was to see a new born baby and this was my brother, Leslie Bertram Whittal.   He was born in a nursing home in Bothaville on the 28th November 1938.   I can remember us children visiting my mother in the home and that Grandpa Henry was with us.   Her baby was so small and pink and I was afraid to touch him.   I had seen many new born animals on the farm and had even witnessed some of their births and seen how soon they would be up and about, but a baby? … so different, and brought by the big white stork with black tipped wings!!!!!



A floral Painting by Les Whittal

            I was present at the christening of Leslie in the Wesleyan Church in Viljoenskroon on 7 May 1939.   This was not a strange place to me as I had been there several times before, but the christening with water I had never seen.   I can remember the minister asking my dad to name his son and him answering with pride “Leslie Bertram Whittal”.   I was told that my little brother was now a child of the Lord Jesus as I had been from five years earlier when I had been christened in that same church.   My three sisters, Thelma, Bertha, and Daphne, were all christened there as well.


            The next first in my life was the funeral of my mother’s Aunt, Emily Jane Payne born Marshall, who died on their farm ‘Koeberg’ in the Bothaville district on 5th August 1939.   She had been married to Uncle Charlie Payne who had predeceased her in 1934.   At the time of her death she was living with her son, Edgar Payne, and his wife, Nellie.   It was a very sad and sombre occasion with every woman dressed in black and the men wearing black arm bands.   My mother thought that it would be too upsetting for me to be at a graveside so I stayed in the car.   My sisters were all in school that day and my mother was looking after her baby.   The Wesleyan minister from town conducted the service on the big verandah of the farm house.   This was a time for our parents to try and tell me about death and that if we were followers of Christ that we would all meet again in heaven one day.   For a while after that I tried my very best to be a good boy so that I would not one day be locked out of that gate.
           

 We had never been to a Christmas tree so we were very excited when we were invited to attend one at Uncle Edgar and Aunty Nellie Payne’s farm ‘Koeberg’.   This must have been either Christmas 1938 or 39.   They were very rich people and it was very kind of them to invite their poor relatives.   I cannot remember what gift I received but I was more impressed with the cakes and sweets.   Daphne says that it was the very first time that she could remember eating an apple and a pear.   And then there was Father Christmas with his red clothes and big white beard.   I was scared of him.   There was something familiar about his
Father Christmas aka Fred Martin
voice, perhaps his accent, and then one of my sisters whispered that I must look at his hands.   I looked and saw that he had a pinkie finger missing, just like Uncle Fred Martin who had been there earlier, but now he was missing!!!!
          
This is a picture that used to hang in our home when I was still a Little boy


  There would be many more firsts in my life which would help me to become the person that I am today.
* * * * * *

2 comments:

  1. I remember Uncle Fred... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Edgar Payne was my grandfather. I'm researching the family history and would like to contact you

    ReplyDelete